Life can be complicated. We have jobs, partners, kids, and other obligations…the list goes on and on. For women who are trying to have a baby, the list gets even longer. With taking your temperature, checking cervical fluid, and maybe even the occasional standing on your head after sex- things can get downright crazy. Getting pregnant does not have to be complicated, in fact I do not want it to be complicated! That is why I’ve created these simple tips to guide you through the process of getting pregnant naturally. Yes, I understand that some will need more guidance, but overall these tips are a great place to start on your path to becoming mommy.
1. Control your stress- One of the best things you can do for yourself is decrease your stress. Stress, or liver qi stagnation in Chinese Medicine, depletes our yang. Yang can be viewed as progesterone, our hormone essential for having a baby. When your body is stressed, the last thing it wants to do is get pregnant. Start meditating for 20 minutes a day. Once in the morning after you get up, and once in the evening before you go to bed. Meditation lowers cortisol levels, calms the heart, and moves stagnation.
2. Cut the carbs and cut the sugar- Refined carbohydrates and sugar build phlegm and damp. This buildup of phlegm and damp creates heat. In general, heat in Chinese medicine is inflammation. Refined and processed carbs creates sugar and insulin imbalances, and slows down gut mobility.
3. Dump the plastics, dump the pans, dump the cosmetics- Your environment has a major impact on your fertility. BPA, PFC’s, and Phthalates are endocrine disrupting chemicals that have been show to increase infertility. Get rid of house hold items that contain BPA, such as plastic cups and Tupperware. PFC’s are chemicals found on non-stick pans and dental floss. Other places chemicals are hiding in, is our cosmetics and lotions. Maybe contain parabens, phthalates, and other chemicals which have an enormous negative effect on your hormones.
4. Get a good nights sleep- Good REM sleep allows our bodies to restore and build our yin and yang, qi and blood. Sleep preserves heart qi and nourishes heart blood, which play a major role in aiding the uterus through a meridian called the Bao Mai. For conception to occur, the Bao Mai must be free of stagnation and depletion. Lack of sleep creates an imbalance in hormones, many of which are produces and released at night during REM sleep.
5. Move! Yes, move three times a week for at least 1 hour. Get out and move, hike, swim, bike, join a dance class, or simply take the stairs instead of the elevator. Make a conscious choice to choose movement. Movement is key in moving liver qi stagnation, and dispersing damp accumulation. It does not need to be every day, nor does it need to be intense. Listen to your body and make it fun.
6. Enjoy sexy time, and do not make it a chore. Sex, in most cases, is needed to have a baby. Too many times my patients turn sex into a chore. They turn sex into something they have to do, instead of something that they actually want to do. Sex needs to stay fun, it creates bonding and intimacy with your partner, and keeps your connection strong. Use this opportunity to fall in love with your partner over and over again.
Happy baby making!